Monday, November 12, 2012

Goodreads Choice Awards Semifinal Round

The semifinal round of the annual Goodreads Choice Awards has started and will be open to voting through November 17th. In this round, the write-in votes from round one have been taken into account, and now each category has five more books to choose from when voting. Once again, winners will be chosen and announced on Tuesday, December 4th.

I will be sticking with my vote for Junot Diaz's This Is How You Lose Her in the Best Fiction category. However, due to the write-in option, the popular The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling has been introduced and will no doubt prove to be a strong opponent.

I am also sticking with Laura Moriarty's The Chaperone for Best Historical Fiction, John Green's The Fault in Our Stars for Best Young Adult Fiction, and Susan Cain's Quiet for Best Nonfiction.

Much to my annoyance, there hasn't been much in the way of additions to compete with Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl in both the Best Mystery & Thriller and Best Goodreads Author categories. I was hoping the write-ins would provide some strong opponents, and maybe they have, but none of the new books interest me personally. I get why people like Flynn's book, I do, I personally just can't seem to get behind it. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Other nominees from past blog posts that are holding firm include Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's The Long Earth for Best Science Fiction as well as Christopher Moore's Sacre Bleu for Best Humor.

I am super curious to see how this round shakes out and what the choices will be for the finals. When the final round opens on November 19th, each category will display the top ten books and it will be the readers' last chance to vote for their favorite.

You can vote in the semifinal round here http://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards. If anything, even if my favorite doesn't win, I got a lot of good future reading ideas out of this, and that is always a good thing.

No comments: